5/18/14

More Euler, Less History!

Ok, well first of all, Euler is awesome.However I couldn't really find history on his really cool formula, so I figured I'd just blog normally. Anyways, I thought I'd blog about Euler's formula. Euler's formula, first of all is V-E+F=2  or V+F-E=2. V for vertices, E for edges and F for faces. Basically, this means the number of vertices and faces of a convex polyhedron(Click here for a definition!) will always be 2 more than the number of edges of the same polyhedron. Try it out! If a convex polyhedron(in this case a cube) has 8 vertices, 6 faces and 12 edges, what does the formula look like? That would be 8+6-12=2. You may find that some numbers don't work, but that's probably because your solid is just not a convex polyhedron. However, V+F-E can also equal 1and/or other values, so Euler's characteristic was made. He's pretty smart, huh? Anyway, the general formula is V+F-E=x.That is where Euler's characteristic comes in. Umm... so this is an ultra short blog, read up and  things I already explained here! Because Math is Fun! ;D See Ya!

Look it's Euler!!